Advance the scientific understanding of burning plasmas and ensure the greatest benefit from a burning plasma experiment by coordinating relevant U.S. fusion research with broad community participation.
- Coordinate and advocate U.S. Burning Plasma research
- Provide a U.S. organizational structure for participation in BP program
- Individual investigator and larger groups
- Optimize U.S. ITER participation and address issues beyond ITER
- Promote and coordinate activities on existing experiments, theory and simulation, diagnostics, etc.
- Identify and develop U.S. areas of excellence and interest in BP program (including staff)
- Educate and advocate BP science to the wider scientific community
- Closely coordinate U.S. activities with U.S. ITER Project Office
- ITER Physics R&D
- Maximize U.S. exploitation of ITER
- Facilitate strong interactions with international partners
- e.g., ITPA, IEA collaborations, etc.